1.21.2008

NYC Turns to the Third-World

Before we get going here it must be pointed out that TW is a fucking thief. I'd be able to summon more than fake anger at his pilfering of my "In Review" column idea if not for several things, in no particular order. A. I suck at regular posting. B. I wish that I had thought of the column idea. C. Had I reviewed religion I probably would have just posted some offensive rant. D. TW is the only reason this site is still going.


OK, back to the point of this whole thing. There was a particularly interesting article on the front page of amNY the other day. A quick aside: amNY is such a blessing and a curse. Sure, it's free, which is usually what makes it kinda crappy. It does provide me with valuable crosswords to do when I should be doing actual work. It's littered with typos, though, and I probably wouldn't bother with it if not for the fact that every single morning there's about a half dozen people giving it away that harass the shit out of everyone in my subway stop near my office. I usually end up with at least two if for no other reason than to appease those maniacs.

Sorry, that aside turned out not to be that quick. Also, I have no grasp of paragraph structure. I just kind of hit "enter" when there looks like a decent amount of text in it. Anyway, the front page the other day was all about this building on Broadway that's about to fall over. I only mention it because it's around the corner from my office and something seemed odd about it when I first noticed it. It was probably the fact that a complicated system of makeshift wooden planks appeared to be propping it up. It looks laughable how shitty it is and I just kind of dismissed it as there being no chance that could be the case. Turns out I was wrong. NYC is amazing sometimes when you see some of the nonsense that should only be happening in third-world countries.

Good example being something I just caught on the ol' television. It was one of those "Most Amazing Things Ever" type of shows, the kind of shit where people's parachutes don't open or they get bit by a shark but they survive. As if we're supposed to feel bad about people that are fucking with sharks in the first place getting hurt. Anyway, they had a bit about some little girl in Romania that fell down a well and the entire country couldn't figure out how to get her out. Literally the entire country. The news station that was broadcasting it was soliciting suggestions from the public. Ultimately, some skinny teenage chick was lowered in upside down by a rope into this tiny well and pulled the girl out. The best part was that the mayor of the village gave her a plot of land as a reward. I guess they were out of mules.

0 comments: