2.10.2008

FACT: Dinosaur Hunters Shape Annals of History

Truth be told here, its extremely difficult to write about anything other than the "Greatest Game Ever" this past Sunday. The aftermath has easily consumed every aspect of my life this past week It's singularly the greatest sports rooting achievement of my life. Achievement may not be the best word, but I think it's fairly appropriate here. I'm just pissed that I couldn't make it to the parade. Employment is not all its cracked up to be. Alas. With the advent of The Upper Decker, however, these sentiments are best reserved for a different forum. Before I move on to something non-sports related I have to point out that I'm currently watching some sweet DVRed World Arm Wrestling Championships that appear to have been taped at Mohegan Sun. These guys are nuts. They all have right arms that appear visibly larger than the left. It's really just a display of athleticism, replete with competitors truly at the apex of their game.


OK, moving on. It's pretty hard to keep this whole posting thing from devolving into me just breaking down whatever happened to occur in my life recently. It then becomes not much more than a diary, and that would be fairly presumptive of me to think that anyone actually wants to read that. Of course there's always the distinct possibility that there always involves some degree of presumption on my part whenever I write some of this nonsense and disseminate it out into the internet where its read by literally millions of people (or about a dozen, depending on your definition of literal).
All this being said, I'm about to briefly describe some of my day yesterday. I decided to take a break from the typical Saturday of drinking all day on the couch in contemplation of later going out that night and drinking at a more frenetic pace in a louder, darker environment. With this in mind I went the other way with the day and took a trip over to the American Museum of Natural History. It's not necessary for me to summarize the trip. That would be fairly shitty and lazy posting on my part. I only mention this because the dinosaur exhibits, always the greatest in the museum, stood out a little bit to me this trip. Some of the exhibits had been redone a little bit since the last time I was there, notably in the area of heavy focus on some of the actual paleontologists that did the exploration. Long story short, I'm fairly certain I'm gonna name my first born child after famed dinosaur hunter Barnum Brown. The exhibits actually referred to this man as the greatest dinosaur hunter of the twentieth century. The phrase spurs images of a wild-eyed bearded man chasing a herd of raptors while on horseback, armed only with a crossbow.

This fellow Barnum Brown is particularly notable since he's the guy who discovered the Tyrannosaurus Rex. If we're talking about the great men that shaped the course of history then Brown's gotta be right up there with Moses and Oscar Meyer, right? This guy's excavation tool of choice......dynamite. That's right, this Dinosaur Hunter said fuck that to being careful with millions of year old fossilized remains. I guess he just really believed in that mantra "Why put off for tomorrow what you can do today.....with dynamite." (Reader's note: I took a brief break in the creation of this paragraph in order to find topless photos of Jennifer Tilly. I dare you to find me a 49-year-old with a better rack than her. Amazing. Also, I feel Barnum Brown would have approved of this use of the internet).

0 comments: