12.07.2007

Fact: 24 Hours is Plenty

Back in AoF's heyday (roughly six months ago), we used to have an unwritten rule: no triple posting allowed. Unfortunately much like when we used to have a Madden season (prior to AoF's expansion) where one person would take a week + to play a game, thus holding up the rest of the league, I am going to "simulate" their game and hopefully move things along. This reminds me that we used to have a three day rule, where once you waited longer than 3 days to play a game, you would automatically be simulated, yet we had the uncanny ability of creating surreal teams, which would boost statistics if the computer was allowed to control them. I'm not sure what the real life Jimmy Williams is doing right now, but if he's anything like the Pro-Bowl rookie from my Madden season, he should have approximately 68 sacks right now.

So I'm going to go ahead now and assert some fact. Or at least have an internal debate with myself. The topic is: How soon, is too soon? As in after someone famous passes away, how soon is too soon to make jokes at their now deceased expense? I bring this up because a certain AoF editor hardly waited 12 hours before making a Sean Taylor joke. Now that I think about it, all three of us did. Actually my reference came when he was still in critical condition and reports were that he was shot in the groin. References to "Ow, my balls" and I'd rather be dead than shot in the nuts comments abound. It didn't seem like it was very serious at the time. Then I felt bad when he actually died.

Apparently by AoF standards 12 hours is the requisite waiting time. I guess you could make an argument based on noteriety, popularity, beloved-ness, etc., that you have to wait anywhere from 12 hours to a decade. As far as I'm concerned, if they couldn't laugh at themselves in life, then they're not going to laugh at themselves in death. Therefore, 12 hours is too soon. 24 hours is enough. That's about how long it takes Jack Bauer to kill a bunch of terrorists and save the world, so it should be good enough. A final disclaimer: I'm talking about celebrities and other famous people that you and I have never met or had contact with in any way whatsoever. This rule does not apply to real acquaintences.

0 comments: