12.17.2007

Fact: If you're 3/4 of a century old, you're not fooling anyone.

Look, I know it's the 21st century and advancements in plastic surgery and HGH treatment have made it so people look younger or age slower, but when you're 3/4 of a century old (that's 75 years) you're really not fooling anyone and it's likely too late to start lying about it. As most of my at work posts tend to be, this topic arises from an incident that went down between two of my co-workers. One has reached the ripe old age of 30, while the other will turn 75 in February. As pretty much every minor event requires, cake was served for the 30th anniversary of my co-worker, let's call him JF. Following the cake, the 74 year old (Morat) decided to say something along the lines of "I'm going to need red white and blue streamers for my birthday, since I'll be almost as old as America." Knowing when to step aside, I pretended not to hear her comment, while other co-workers found ways to avoid responding. JF made some comment about bringing in fireworks for her birthday, to which she then responded that she'll probably start lying about her age and asked what age she could get away with. Now I knew that after the fireworks comment there was no way this situation was going to end well. I kept one ear on the conversation as I pretended to be distracted and inattentive. In essense, I threw JF under the bus as he was flying solo in this conversation. Rather than try and make a joke or deflect the question, he picked the first number that came to his mind, 55. There was little I could do to keep myself from falling over laughing. You have to understand, this 75 year old is reviled by almost everyone. She even has an old persons taste in Dunkin Donuts, selecting every single powdered donut available. Does anyone really like the old fashioned style donuts anyway?

So here's the deal, I'm sure this applies to all of our readers in the 65+ demographic. Why bother lying? By lying and or asking how old you look, you're only making those around you (regardless of age) uncomfortable. Now I'm not saying that I didn't get a good laugh at my friend's expense. I think everyone in my department had a serious 20-30 min chuckle over it. This doesn't particularly "grind my gears" since for the most part, I have no gears left to speak of.

In any case, old age is something to embrace. If you're so concerned about getting old, follow the lead of the world's oldest man (ok he may have just died, but he can still lead by example).
Born, according to family documents, on 15 March 1891, Mr Nestor, a former farm labourer, put his long life down to the fact that he never married.
"He didn't find himself a mate because he was a short man and never had money," Oksana believes. (Oksana had at least 4 years plow experience, and was #6 prostitute)
He also led a healthy life, she says.
He loved to get outside and would run barefoot through the grass. Vodka he drank in moderation, and his favourite food was simple country fare with his greatest luxury a slice of sausage in a bread roll.
Hey he may have just passed, but that's what old people do, they die.

0 comments: