10.03.2007

Fact: If You Can't See The Field You're Not Trying.

I understand frustration, disappointment, feeling disenfranchised. I sat in Shea Stadium Sunday afternoon until the final out was made, long after the Jose chant was replaced with boos raining down from the upper deck and the stadium mostly emptied in the 6th inning. I watched my team squander two bases loaded opportunities with futile fly balls, as if one swing was going to erase a seven run first inning deficit.


I didn't boo Glavine when he exited after making only 1 out. I didn't boo Reyes when he finally went 0-5 on at least 3 fly balls. They probably deserved it. I sat in silence for most of the second half of the game watching as the post-season slipped away on the swings of a Triple A ball club.

I don't think I ever stopped believing that they would come back. I cheered every out and every strike thrown by the Mets committee of relief pitchers (who actually did fairly well). What really took the wind out of my sails, and pretty much lose my faith in humanity was during a two out bases loaded rally, with the entire stadium on their feet and Ramon Castro up to bat, I was tapped on the shoulder mid cheer, and asked told me to sit down because he couldn't see. First off, the man was easily in his 50's, was SITTING DOWN, and did not shut the fuck up the entire game, stating facts about players that were flat out wrong. Not even just slightly off. WRONG. For example "Lastings Milledge hits better lefty." Last I checked, Milledge doesn't switch hit.

His baseball ineptitude aside, I was completely dumbfounded at his request. Needless to say, had I sat down, my view is then obstructed by standing fans. Does this mean we're all supposed to go down the line tapping people and asking them to sit? After ducking for a bit and regaining my bearings, I told the guy that I was sorry but there was no way I was going to remain seated during THE pivotal game of the season. Sure, I tried to be as courteous as possible, sitting when appropriate, standing when there was reason to. Hell I even remained in my seat when Kevin James came on the jumbo-tron, told everyone to stand up and led a "Let's Go Mets" chant. Still, amid all the losing going on in Flushing and once the disappointment of the season ending dulled, I am still left with this experience. I'm just glad that this wasn't the last season in Shea, or I'd be left with this as my last memory. If I had to do it all over again, I'd stand the whole game.
They say there's always a silver lining if you look hard enough. Another thing that irks me when it comes to "fandom" is when a team has success, there are people waiting to jump on the bandwagon. People like to feel good, I get it, but part of being a fan is living through the tough times. At least one faux fan outed himself in the Daily News. Frustration, disappointment, anger. I get it. But a public denouncement. That's just disgraceful.

"It didn't start out this way. I was 8 years old when I watched the Miracle of '69. I could not imagine that virtually every year after that would be a different version of the same torture.
Sure, they had their moments in 1973 and of course there was 1986, but those are just tiny islands in the Mets' sea of misery.
Luckily, baseball happiness is only a subway ride away.
Yes, that's right, I have decided to become a Yankee fan."

I'd like to think that he wrote this piece in jest. In fact for his sake and reputation I hope he wasn't serious. If he was I'm glad he was outed as the bandwagon jumping poser that he is, and I hope to never see another column from him again writing as a Mets fan. Bandwagon fans are good, sell more tickets, make more money, sign more expensive players. But there are just some things that absolutely kill me, like when bandwagon fans go the way of Benedict Arnold and talk shit about "their" team, all while signing their "Red Sox Nation" membership card or whoever the next best team is. I hope that real Yankee fans don't accept him. For them I have respect.

If there's one argument I hate from Yankees fans (generally directed to the Red Sox) is the "26 Championships" argument. It's always a fall back argument used when someone makes a point, legit or not, about why one team is better than the Yankees. 26 Championships, yeah but that has no bearing on THIS season. Sommers makes this point, albeit slightly more legimate in the context of his editorial but every team falls on tough times. (which may not be true anymore given the lack of parity in baseball). The Yankees have been good, I'll take nothing away from them there, but they've had a century to win 26 times. Cut the crap, that argument isn't going to win anyone over (to the dark side).



Speaking of the dark side...

Who am I going to root for now that the Mets are done? I began the season looking for an AL club, much like trying to choose a UEFA Soccer team, and decided I would try and follow the Indians. Admittedly I did a terrible job doing so, but now if I had to pick, they're the only AL team that I can't find a reason to root against. Sorry Yankee and Red Sox fans, I've been a Met fan in the Northeast too long to even consider making that leap.

1 comments:

Dougie's Goin Deep said...

The entire red sox nation concept makes me sick to my stomach. I can handle the pink hat phenomenon, because, hey they're girls. It's the green/camo/yellow hats that really bother the shit out of me. The final straw came with the decision to elect a president of red sox nation. Just sad.
Of course, not to be outdone, the team whose station smugly trumpets themselves at every commercial break as "The Network of Champions" while smelling their own farts, has created "yankees universe". Two words come to mind and they start with gay and end with pathetic. I mean that doesn't even make sense, are we to believe aliens are yankees fans...and therefore mimes (shameless plug for my post i know).

And wow, Don Orsillo is doing the Rockies-Phillies game. That's weird.