10.11.2007

Would it be fair to say: You can't celebrate Christmas before Halloween.

As the leaves turn colors, the days get shorter, and the weather gets a little colder we in the New England states cannot help but be aware that fall is upon us. When we think of fall we think of the holiday season, Columbus Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving. We think of costumes and raking. I am reminded of cool fall evening soccer games and hot apple jack (warm apple cider with Jack Daniels). A fun, happy time.

Today is October 11. Over a week ago, long after the office NFL pool died (well not totally dead, I think it still exists for a select few. Ironically, a woman organized the NFL pool and it seems that almost exclusively women are it's participants. I'd be upset but it's like the type of girl who wins your NCAA pool because she has no idea about who SHOULD win, and then manage to pick the crazy upsets like Holy Cross because purple is pretty...I'm not saying that this is the case, but I'd be far more bitter if I lost.) I was asked to pick a slip of paper out of a redweld (a file carrying accordian like device that I wish was never invented because no matter how big you make them there never seems to be enough room) for the departments Secret Santa. I don't hate the people I work with. I actually like them, which is more than I can say for a lot of people I've encountered. I get to do things with them like hit golf balls at the driving range during lunch or drink a beer. It's really not that bad for what I do. But man do I hate Secret Santa, particularly with people I don't know very well.

Back to my real peeve though. Secret Santa selection in the first week of October?! Really? Summer has just officially ended, it's still f'ing hot outside, and the baseball postseason just started. Hell, Tim Allen hasn't even donned a fat suit for "The Santa Clause - 12". My refusal (yes I flat out refused) to pick a name out of the redweld resulted in a balled up piece of paper being thrown at me (presumeably with a name on it), which I placed in a file marked "do not open until November".

I'm going to enjoy my fall. Maybe I'll roll around in some leaves, or sit outside with some apple jack. Maybe I'll knit a scarf or chop down a tree. Maybe I'll go apple picking or comfortably play golf wearing pants and an argyle sweater-vest. All I know is that when the Christmas spirit finally hits, _____'s name on the piece of paper had better enjoy the fruitcake.

0 comments: